Tell Me Why I Should Watch Baseball

Talk all things MLB here! Show pride for your team(s) and your love of the Diamond!
lechg31

Tell Me Why I Should Watch Baseball

Postby lechg31 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:16 pm

Just a fun idea for a discussion topic: I have never been a big baseball guy. As a kid i played and my dad used to work for a company that got us season tickets when they were at CInergy. I will occasionally sit down with my grandfather and watch a Reds game but that is only because he loves them. Outside of that, someone tell me why NOW is a good time for me to get back into baseball.
Joe DiTullio

Re: Tell Me Why I Should Watch Baseball

Postby Joe DiTullio » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:26 pm

Honestly if you haven't watched it your whole life, what anyone says here won't help you but I'll try. Now: we have a guy who is going to go down as the best pitcher of all time in Clayton Kershaw. Anytime he pitches his location and breaking balls are amazing to watch. Baseball also has a guy (who isn't linked to steroids) hitting the ball about as hard as I've ever seen. Giancarlo Stanton's power makes the Marlins fun to watch. Super teams (like in the NBA) don't always work in mlb. Teams with high payrolls win sometimes but it's always fun to watch teams like the Marlins and royals win. The commissioner is also changing the rules (which I don't totally agree with) to make the game more enjoyable for fans like you. I would also say unlike other sports all baseball teams have a star (until the trade deadline at least) which makes it more marketable and fun to watch. Baseball stadiums are the most iconic in the world and with the likes of Fenway and Wrigley still open it gives you a blast from the past when you watch games. Because I know you I will enlighten others. You count your stats at every sport you play. Baseball is the ultimate stat sport. Looking into in depth stats can really open your eyes as to why things happen and how the media portrays players in a way that isn't accurate. For instance Joey Votto won a gold glove in 2010, but finished with a negative defensive war. That interests me. Ultimately I love baseball because it is based on tradition, but always provides new stars to follow. It is also Americas pastime. And I love America and its pastime. If you need more reasons on why to watch baseball please don't hesitate to ask.
lechg31

Postby lechg31 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:28 am

I feel like baseball has its own set of problems. Each sport does. in the NBA the talent is spread unevenly, the NFL has injury issues, and baseball is just too damn long to keep the attention of an impatient person like myself. Being at a game is fine. Watching it on TV is terrible (as a reference I cannot watch golf on TV either but I still follow the sport).
lechg31

Postby lechg31 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:30 am

I get that there is a lot to be excited about right now. Bryce Harper is trying to make baseball fun again. Griffey and Piazza, two of the most quality human beings you will ever meet, made it to the Hall this week. But I find it hard to have my time and attention steered from the NFL, NBA, NCAA, and such. Even in the off season for the aforementioned sports.
timmyymiller

Postby timmyymiller » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:03 pm

Baseball is America's pastime. That should carry some weight. I personally love baseball for the strategy. I love thinking about how teams set lineups, shifts, double switches, and calls to the bullpen. If anyone says baseball isn't exciting, go watch the Game 5 of the 2015 ALDS. That game had the most energy and craziness I've ever seen. The bat flip from Bautista, and all the errors that caused the game to suddenly change late was so exciting.
Joe DiTullio

Postby Joe DiTullio » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:15 pm

You should really try to give it a fair shot when one of the players I mentioned are playing. If that doesn't get you focused, nothing will. Also you don't follow golf.

Return to “MLB”