Favorite Steelers

Eric and Nick talk about the old and the new of the Pittsburgh Steelers, one of the NFL's most successful franchises.
Joe DiTullio

Favorite Steelers

Postby Joe DiTullio » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:29 am

You guys mentioned your favorite Steelers of all time in your latest show. Who are your favorite Steelers of all time, who you didn't get to see play, but you know about and have maybe seen after retirement?
nick_ditullio

Re: Favorite Steelers

Postby nick_ditullio » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:35 pm

I would say Mean Joe Greene. Let's not even focus on his statistics. He is (arguably) the most important Steeler in franchise history given when he was drafted and who it was that drafted him in new coach Chuck Knoll. Mean Joe was literally the cornerstone of a dynasty in the Steel Curtain. He was feared and respected by both teammates and other teams. Then he starred in the most iconic Super Bowl commercial of all-time. Let's also consider that he is one of only two Steelers to have a jersey retired. Long story short, Mean Joe Greene is the true embodiment of a Pittsburgh Steeler and if you want to pick the face of the franchise I think it would be him without much of a debate.
vanbenep

Postby vanbenep » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:54 pm

Historically, I hear John stallworth was a beast WR and actually was way better than swynn (who had more iconic moments). I think jack ham's intensity would have been exciting to see. As for player I wanted to pan out but never did, WR Limas Sweed. Picked in Round 2 as apparent successor to Plaxicco, wrist injuries kept him off the field. But at 6'4'' and watching him in college, I think he could have been special if it wasn't for the injuries.
Joe DiTullio

Postby Joe DiTullio » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:19 pm

Limas was a beast in college. I thought he'd pan out too.
nick_ditullio

Postby nick_ditullio » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:08 am

Taking the approach of players who were hampered by injuries, I'd agree with Eric. Sweed could've been great.

Return to “Steelers Country Weekly”