NCAA Players/NBA Draft

Is March your favorite month? Do you love its, Madness? Then come chat here, all things College Basketball!
lechg31

NCAA Players/NBA Draft

Postby lechg31 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:06 am

Tom Izzo made comments this week about the fact that the NBA Draft is broken. More Euro players go because of their draft and stash abilities. When teams like Boston have multiple picks and could not even sign everyone that they are drafting, it makes sense. So should the NBA adopt a system more like that of the MLB or NHL in terms of draft rules?
Joe DiTullio

Re: NCAA Players/NBA Draft

Postby Joe DiTullio » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:44 am

Nope. I think it should go back to the way it was (straight out of high school) or stay the same. I honestly don't think it's as a big of a deal as Izzo is making it out to be.
lechg31

Postby lechg31 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:11 pm

What would you say to the NBA teams that want to not only keep the age limit the way it is, but raise it? They will always cite the Kwame Brown example.
Joe DiTullio

Postby Joe DiTullio » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:08 pm

I would say that at the age of 18, they are grown men and can make their own decisions. If you want the players to develop you can draft them and put them in the D-League and/or send them overseas. Selfishly though I must admit that I want to see players in college longer, but don't think that's constitutional.
lechg31

Postby lechg31 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:11 pm

Let me be clarify the point of view that I was coming from: I was not looking, with that particular question, at the players decisions but rather the NBA Executives. They want the age raised to get more of an assurance on player's talent (and even though theyd never admit it get some free training for their players of the future). How would you respond to the NBA Execs on that?
Joe DiTullio

Postby Joe DiTullio » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:30 pm

Read my last post. They can develop their players while owning their draft rights, so less assurance of talent is needed. If they need more assurance of talent they need to be better at their jobs. NBA execs can and will get over it if the NBA did decide that.

Return to “College Basketball”