Best Sports Movies of All Time

Come talk to Joe about sports and podcasts!
Joe DiTullio

Best Sports Movies of All Time

Postby Joe DiTullio » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:37 am

I want to start this forum with a bit of fun conversation. Sports movies are one of my favorite things to watch and talk about in the world. I love just about any sports movie there is, but my favorites are The Mighty Ducks (D1 and D2), Space Jam and Rudy. The Mighty Ducks taught me about playing like a team and to always put the team ahead of yourself. Space Jam is the most educational movie I've ever seen. There are a wide variety of topics covered in the movie (race, treating women with respect, PEDs and Murder), that were shown in a light and funny way. Rudy is the most motivational movie I've ever seen. I feel like I can run through a wall after seeing it. It is a constant reminder to follow your dreams. What are your favorites and why?
austin.ferguson.tgh

Re: Best Sports Movies of All Time

Postby austin.ferguson.tgh » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:35 am

Moneyball.

Fantastic acting and a compelling story that has you routing for the guys trying something new in a sport where everything is based on tried and true methods that don't even really work.

Remember the Titans

and of course dodgeball :D
Joe DiTullio

Postby Joe DiTullio » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:27 pm

I like all of those movies. Remember the Titans is my favorite out of those three. I still tell people that Ryan gosling is a star, but a total liability at cornerback!
Robert Hanes

Postby Robert Hanes » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:15 pm

Austin the fact that you liked Moneyball makes me respect you immensely. It was a great movie. For me my favorites are Sandlot, Benchwarmers, and Major League. Just off the top of my head.
EDawg

Postby EDawg » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:17 pm

Replacements is a fun one. Not necessarily great, but a ton of fun. So are Little Big League and Rookie of the Year (despite being about the Cubs). Mighty Ducks is definitely up there, despite the fact my goofball brother refers to me as Goldberg.
timmyymiller

Postby timmyymiller » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:58 pm

Moneyball is/was so underrated. I loved that movie. The Sandlot is also a classic.
Joe DiTullio

Postby Joe DiTullio » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:39 pm

The sandlot is a classic, but I don't consider it a sports movie. I love it but they only play one real game the whole film.
michaelsullivan

Postby michaelsullivan » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:49 pm

1. Remember The Titans . Denzel + uplifting message about ending racism and unifying a community = sports classic
2. Rudy. Like someone else said, it's extremely motivational and the ending is a tearjerker
3. A League Of Their Own. Tom Hanks and Geena Davis have wonderful chemistry and it's funny too.
4. Invincible. Mark Wahlberg is solid and he's another underdog like Rudy.

The rest is up in the air but I also enjoy Replacements, Sandlot, and Gridiron Gang. A good sports movie never gets old.
vanbenep

Postby vanbenep » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:41 pm

Best can be interpreted in a few ways. I think best is different than favorite (which mine is probably the replacements "Falco!"). Best, I think I have to go with Any Given Sunday. I think the drama in the movie shows what the cameras don't capture on the field in the NFL. It's entertaining and some of the most iconic moments/characters in sports cinema happen in the movie (Inches speech/Steamin' Beamon)
timmyymiller

Postby timmyymiller » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:54 am

Joe DiTullio wrote:The sandlot is a classic, but I don't consider it a sports movie.
It's literally about baseball. That's the storyline. How is it not a sports movie?

Return to “Joey Heisman”